History of the building

The former Katzenelsons family mansion was built by the architect Max Paul Bertschi (1840-1911) after a sketch of an architect Ernst von Ines (1848-1917). The construction of the house lasted for a year – from 1900 to 1901. A year later a household building was built, where a cart-house was located on the first floor, while living rooms for servants were located on the second. The facade of the house was built in a neo-Gothic style but the rooms inside of the house in differing styles. The hall is built in a Gothic style, the former dining room, in a German Renaissance style, but both salons are built in Baroque and Rococo styles.

The construction costs of the house were high as the estimate amounted to 56,200 roubles.